The Emergency Broadband Benefit program is also known as EBBP, was announced on 12th May 2021. The aim of this program is to assist people who have been harmed financially as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. It will pay $50 a month for your Internet service and is open to all families who have experienced a loss of income in the previous year. This program boasts a total prize pool of $3.2 billion.
If you are confused about the eligibility criteria, let us help you out. Let’s find out what are the eligibility conditions in order to avail $50 broadband bill waiver under the emergency broadband benefit program
If the annual income of any household is at 135% or below the federal poverty guidelines. Read about the federal poverty guidelines from HERE
Any member of the household becomes eligible for this program if:
- He/She qualifies for lifeline benefits through active participation in SNAP, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Federal Public Housing Assistance, or the Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program, and that provider received FCC approval for its eligibility verification process
- Also had a significant loss of income since February 29, 2020, with a gross household income of $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers in 2020
- In the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 academic years, received approval for benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision
- Participates in one of several Tribal-specific services, including Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribal Head Start (only households meeting the applicable income qualification standard), Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF), and the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations.
- In the current award year, earned a federal Pell Grant;
Here are some other ways using which you can qualify for Emergency Broadband benefit scheme:
Qualifying through your Child or Dependent: Your household may be made eligible by any member of your family. If your child or dependent is enrolled in the Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program, for example, your family gets eligible for the Emergency Broadband Benefit.
Those who are already availing of Lifeline Benefits: You automatically qualify for the Emergency Broadband Benefit worth $50 if you already receive Lifeline benefits, and you will receive both benefits at the same time.
Required Documents or Information to provide your Eligibility
In order to avail the benefit of the scheme, the eligible beneficiaries must prove their eligibility. This can be done by providing required documentation or information. The required documentation varies as per the component you have chosen to apply. For example, if you are applying under the “Substantial loss of income” component the documentation required will vary as compared to some other component.
Identity Verification: The first & most important verification is the applicant’s identity verification. In order to verify your identity, you may present your social security number, Tribal identification number, U.S. Driver’s license, passport, Taxpayer identification number, or any other government-issued ID.
Address Verification: Confirming your ID is not enough. You must provide documents to verify your identity too. Any document that contains the applicant’s first or last name along with his physical address will be accepted. If you are applying online, you may use USAC’s mapping tool. Those who are filling the offline application may need to send a map that clearly shows the physical address of the applicant. Documents like Driver’s license, utility bill, mortgage or lease statement, W2 or tax return statement (most recent), or any other valid id issued by the government are acceptable for address verification.
Household income proof: Those who qualify through income parameters must provide any document that shows the annual income. The example of valid examples includes Prior Year’s state, federal or tribal tax return, Social security statement of benefits, retirement or pension statement of benefits, etc.
How to Apply for Emergency broadband Benefit Program
There are two ways to apply. You can easily apply online or You can mail the application and attach required documents to the official mailing address. Let’s discuss both of these methods one by one.
Applying Online for $50 Discount under EBBP @ Get Emergency Broadband Benefit Portal
Let’s understand the process to apply online.
Once you complete the form, you will get confirmation mail. Your $50 Discount will be provided to you.
Finding a Company Nearby that Provides $50 Off under Emergency Broadband Benefit
You can use the online tool to find out if any company nearby you are offering the benefit from this scheme. To do this, you can simply Visit This Page and view the availability by simply entering the zip code or City & State details.
Emergency Broadband Benefit Program 2021 – Important Resources
- Online Application Form
- Instructions to Apply
- Offline form to Apply via Mail in English & Spanish
- Official Website
Related Questions and Answers