What is an M-Pesa statement?
An M-Pesa statement is a piece of a detailed report of your transactions via M-Pesa within a given period. M-Pesa was launched in 2007 as a mobile money transfer service. Since then, the service has expanded to different countries in Africa. Mpesa is owned by Vodafone Group, the parent company of Safaricom.
This article will describe the step-by-step procedure of getting your M-Pesa statements online via your email. Let’s get started!
M-Pesa statements are divided into two parts.
- Mini statements that show the last five transactions
- Full statements that pull records of up to 1 or 2 years of transactions
How to get your M-Pesa statement
You can either use the USSD code, MySafaricom app, or the Safaricom self-care portal to get an M-Pesa statement. We’ll start with the USSD method.
For this process, you’ll need
- A functional mobile phone (preferably a smartphone).
- A Kenyan Identification Card (ID), Passport, Military ID, Diplomatic ID, or Alien ID
- A functional email address.
- A reliable internet connection to check your email address.
First, dial *234#. Make sure it’s your Safaricom line because sim cards from other networks won’t work.
- Once the prompt comes up, press No 5 with the M-Pesa information.
- Next, choose No 1 with M-Pesa statements.
- After that, press 1 to request a statement (if your email isn’t verified, press verify statement).
- On this one, be very careful. Respond with No 2, indicating a summary statement.
- This will take you to the summary statement period. Choose the period you want to view, then select it.
- In the next step, enter your correct working email address.
- Re-enter your email address after the prompt.
- Lastly, enter your M-Pesa secret pin.
- After successfully inputting your M-Pesa pin, you’ll receive a pop-up instructing you to wait for SMS confirmation.
- After a few minutes, you will receive a message from Safaricom indicating your M-Pesa statements have been sent to your respective email address.
If your M-Pesa statements don’t reflect in your email within 24 hours, carefully repeat the same USSD code process.
Downloading your M-Pesa statement online
Once you have received a message from Safaricom that your statement is ready, log in to your email and look for an email with an M-Pesa statement and download it. If you can’t trace it, check your spam folder. If it’s still not there, be patient, and it will be in your inbox in no time.
The statement is usually sent in PDF format (make sure you have the necessary apps to view the document), and after opening it, a pop-up will prompt you to enter a password. Enter your registered passport, military, diplomatic, alien, or ID number.
- After it opens, you can now view monthly or yearly transactions.
How to get M-Pesa statements via the MySafaricom App
For this method, you will have to download the app from the play store, but if you already have the app installed,
- Open the app
- Proceed to the M-Pesa tab.
- Click on the M-Pesa statement.
- A prompt to enter your M-Pesa pin will pop up. Key in the pin and proceed.
- From here, you can view recent transactions, money out and in, and click to get a full statement.
- Choose the statement period you wish to view and then get the statement. (Note that you can also change your email in this section if you forgot it.)
- You will get a pop-up requesting you to wait for an SMS confirmation once your request is processed.
How to get M-Pesa statements via the Safaricom self-care portal
This method will require
- A smartphone, a laptop, or a desktop
- Stable internet connection
- Your log in credentials
- Head to your chrome or Mozilla browser
- Log in to the portal (if you don’t have an account, you will have to wait because the portal is not currently registering new accounts).
- Confirm your phone number through a code.
- Log in to the M-Pesa statement and access your transactions.
How to get M-Pesa statements via email
Accessing your M-Pesa statement through email is the most efficient method because you get all your transactions recorded in a pdf document. To receive statements in your email, you have to register and confirm your email address by dialing *234#. After your email is confirmed, follow the methods mentioned above, and your M-Pesa statement will be sent to your email within a few minutes.