M-PESA is a product of Safaricom; it was established on March 6, 2007. Since then, the service has simplified how people transact, and you can transact up to Ksh 300,000 using your standard Safaricom Sim card and Ksh 50,000,000 using the M-PESA till number.
As the M-PESA client base grew steadily, there was a need to address the issue of sending money to the wrong recipient. This is why the M-PESA reversal service was introduced; some people who receive money wrongly sent to them don’t send it back.
Reversing money sent to the wrong till number takes approximately 72 hours. This article will explain how to reverse M-PESA transactions, whether they were sent to the wrong phone number or till number. Let’s dive in.
To reverse an M-PESA transaction, use the following methods:
Using the M-PESA App:
- The customer must have completed the transaction.
- Only transactions made through the M-PESA App can be reversed.
- The transaction must have been concluded.
- Tap on the Reverse icon on the M-PESA APP.
- Select reversal reason – e.g., wrong amount, wrong recipient, others, etc.
- The reversal request will be submitted immediately.
- You will receive a notification prompt indicating the reversal request has been received and is being processed.
- After this, Safaricom will call the 2nd party for the reversal.
- Keep checking your messages for any updates from Safaricom.
- You will get an SMS once the money is successfully reversed.
Requesting an M-PESA reversal via SMS
To reverse a normal M-PESA transaction sent to the wrong phone number, follow the following steps.
- After the M-Pesa transaction is complete, forward the transaction message to 456.
- You will receive a message from “Reversal” that your request for reversal has been received and started.
- Check your message to see if the money has been reversed.
- If the recipient has used up the money, you will also get a response that the funds have been used.
M-PESA reversal Request on mySafaricom App:
- The transaction must have been done now.
- Only transactions done using mySafaricom App can be reversed.
- After the transaction, press the Reverse transaction button.
- Confirm that you want to raise a reversal request.
- You will be notified that your reversal request is being processed, and the feedback will be sent within 2 minutes.
- You will receive another message from “Reversal,” indicating that the reversal has been started.
- After follow-up with the other party, you will receive another message after 2 hours.
- If the reversal is successful, your money will be credited to your account. If not, another message will be sent telling you to follow up on the recipient.
How to Reverse M-PESA Wrong Till Number Transaction
Unlike normal Safaricom users, reversing money sent to the wrong till number is not an easy task. However, follow the following steps to get your money back.
- Once you realize you have sent money to the wrong till number, call M-PESA customer care on your phone using 234
- M-PESA customer care will call the merchant in charge of the till number and ask a few questions.
- The merchant will then be asked to refund the money.
- You will then receive your money back to your M-PESA account after 72 hours.
As much as the reversal service is effective, you are encouraged to verify or save the frequently used till numbers on your device. Many people have lost money sent to the wrong number. For instance, when you send money to a phone or till number that is not operational, how will you get your money back?
Always be keen when transacting. You can also use the M-PESA App or Safaricom App to verify the names of the people or businesses you’re sending the money.
How long does it take to get an update on the m-Pesa reversal request?
It usually takes not more than 2 hours.
I got a call from Safaricom customer care and I was asked to visit the nearest agent, should I go?
On the official website, Safaricom has clearly mentioned that the company never calls anyone regarding reversals. Fraudsters usually do this. So kindly don’t trust such people.
How to avoid faulty m-pesa transactions?
Customers are instructed to be very cautious while entering the till number. Kindly check 2 to 3 times after entering it in the app. This will ensure you money is not sent to wrong number.